Monday, April 30, 2012

Petronas Trainee Experience


 “Welcome to Petronas Energy Philippines, Inc.!” a heartwarming greeting from the Human Resource and Admin Officer as she officially welcomes us to the company. She gave the trainees orientation on the day which also marked my 7th day in the office. With the hours that passed, is an experience to share.

  1. The Daily Routine
The company uses Peachtree to record transactions.

I am accommodated as a trainee in the treasury section of the finance department. The section is in-charge in preparing the Daily Cash Position Report (DCPR), monitoring payments to third parties and immediate deposit of all checks, foreign exchange transactions, and the like. My task in fulfilling the treasury role is filing. The papers I file are cash disbursement journals, purchase journals, provisional receipts, and other important documents. In filing the journals, I have to arrange them according to the date of transactions with the most recent at the top. On the other hand, provisional receipts are filed according to the due dates of the checks received with the nearest due date at the top of the file. Oftentimes, I am asked to receive those checks. My other tasks include stamping the journals and supporting documents with the mark PAID and the petty cash vouchers with their series numbers, preparing deposit slips, and photocopying documents.
 
  1. Learning and Realizations
a.)                The Transaction Cycle

The desk
For more than a week of stay in the office, I have acquired knowledge with how things work. When materials are to be purchased or services are to be acquired, the proponent (an employee or a department) is required to submit a Materials and Services Requisition Form if the amount exceeds P1,000 to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO). For purchases below the P1000 threshold, the proponent can be granted the requested amount from the petty cash fund. After the request is approved, the supplier is chosen through a bidding process.  When the proponent has already chosen the supplier, they are to submit again a report to the CFO the details of the bid and why they have chosen such company. Next, the proponent prepares the Purchase Order (PO) and contacts the supplier. After materials are delivered or services rendered, the proponent furnishes a report stating the receipt of materials and services. Also, a Request for Payment has to be prepared along with supporting documents such as the charge invoice and delivery receipt. The reports are to be submitted to the Accounting section which prepares the purchase journal. The Purchase Journal contains the total amount payable (amount of purchase, discount if taken, and expanded withholding tax). The Purchase Journal together with the supporting details is then submitted to the treasury for payment.

files...
more files..

b.)    Opening the Mind

i.)      Take note of every information given
After I was introduced to my direct superior, I was told about the Finance Department. My superior told me that it has four sections headed by the Chief Financial Officer (CFO). In the afternoon of the same day, I was asked to answer the phone. I greeted the caller “Hello Good Afternoon, Treasury Department…” After the call, my superior who has heard the greeting reminded me that treasury is a section and not a department. She reiterated what she said in the morning. I was ashamed for I felt from my superior’s tone the dismay of me not remembering.

ii.)    Endurance.. keep on going!
I thought filing is an easy work and can be done in less than an hour. .. but I was wrong. I have to sort hundreds of papers and look for the missing ones in the series. It causes me back pain and weariness. However, the feeling of satisfaction I get from getting a job done compensates it all. I learned to love my job as the days go by. I also have the opportunity of scanning through the journals and documents thus learning while working.

iii.)  United we stand, united we fall
In the office, we work as a team. Each one of us has to do our work well with speed and accuracy. We have deadlines to beat for the day. We have to finish the work for the day for tomorrow brings with it another work to be done.. which means another deadline to beat. Each one of us has to give her best shot for the CFO is there ready to commend or reprimand.

iv.)  Who You Are Can Be Brought In The Workplace
The way you dress, the manner you converse and your working attitude goes with you wherever you are especially in the corporate world. I am happy I was commended by the HR and Admin Officer with the way I dress and told me to keep it up.
The training we have at home and at school is crucial in shaping our character.. especially when it comes to work.
#
outside the admin office
with Petronas's new products. lubricants..
inside the Petronas Bus


No comments:

Post a Comment